There is no easy way of preventing the mum jean trend from entering your wardrobe this season, and while it might be taking you back to those 80’s double denim days, we’re here to tell you that they have had a refreshing update and you might not be ready to see the end of them after all.
In fact, the mom jean today is actually pretty flattering, and when worn the right way, can elongate your legs and pass as the perfect dinner to drinks ensemble. Take a look at these on-trend celebs below rocking some of our favourite styles in store, and find out from our stylists how their simple styling techniques transform these vintage denim classics.
1. Straight leg jean from Current Elliott
Stylists Tip: These are a great jean for their versatility. The high rise and straight leg fit gives the elongating illusion, and the unique wash and raw hem feature gives it that perfect vintage look while still being sophisticated and classic. These jeans do all the talking, so just add a black or white silk top, a pair of statement heels and a red lipstick to finish. Very Parisian!
2. The flared fit from Re/Done jeans
Stylists Tip: While these are a little more daring than a straight leg, they are worth the risk! These are best styled with a pair of heels to lift the flare, and the super high waist is guaranteed to add a few inches to your legs! Dress these up with a tighter top to balance out the flare, and you’re ready for your long lunch date Friday night drinks.
3. Straight leg vintage jean from Re/Done
Stylists Tip: When it comes to this denim, the options are endless! However, the thicker denim on this style makes them perfect for the colder seasons, and the slim fit ensures you can layer them up with everything. We recommend these with a turtleneck, trench and a pair of sneakers for an effortless yet chic combination throughout Winter.
4. The Distressed Mom Jean from Citizens of Humanity
Stylists Tip: These are arguably the most popular of all the mom jeans out there, and have quickly circulated as a celebrity and street style star favourite. For perfection in an outfit, style these back with a cami and a leather jacket with subtle accessories – it’s trendy but not too out there, and will quickly become your go-to.
- Heels are key! Unless they’re a straight leg jean, make sure you have a pair of pumps or strappy heels on hand for your flared vintage denim.
- Balance out flared bottoms with something tighter up top.
- Show a little skin! When you can, opt for a v-neck tank or spaghetti string camisole to balance out the relaxed fit jean.
- Subtle accessorising. When it comes to your vintage jeans, the denim does all the talking. We say opt for minimal accessorising by allowing only one statement bag or accessory into the mix.
- Have fun!
Here at CALEXICO we love our denim, and to show you just how much we are celebrating all things DENIM for the month of May! Visit us in store for your complimentary styling appointment and to #FINDYOURFIT from our extensive collection of denim available in store.
Purchase two pairs of denim throughout denim month and receive a FREE Vince tee!